The origins of Southern Tuscany’s Maremma district can be dated to the arrival of the Grand Dukes of Lorraine in 1765. Successors to the Medici, they began development of the countryside, draining swamps that had once dominated the landscapes and replacing them with rich, fertile pastures and farmland. Vineyard development began in 1828, when Leopold II took an interest in the zone and handed control to several leading noble families.
A small, cutting edge cellar located near the famous town of Scansano, Poggio Argentiera was created in 1997. The original 6 hectares of vineyards in the village of Adua have been planted to Sangiovese since the early 20th century, and their proximity to the seaside and Marina di Alberese offers sandy soil perfect for the creation of top quality Morellino di Scansano. The estate has been subsequently expanded to include an additional 15 hectares in the hills above Scansano and near the village of Baccinello—these vineyards, boasting a higher elevation and rocky soil, are ideally suited to working with famous international varietals like Syrah, Cabernet Franc, and Alicante. Since 2009, the entire property has been converted to organic farming methods, all with the goal of finding the perfect balance between the vines and their environment.
Purchased by the famous Tua Rita winery in 2015, the Poggio Argentiera estate has come to be recognized as one of the foremost cellars in the Scansano DOCG. Don't miss out!
Morellino di Scansano DOCG
Poggioraso Cabernet Franc IGT
Click on a wine to view its Tech Sheet.